School Offer


Our vision is for our children to be happy, healthy, independent learners who communicate effectively and show respect for their environment, their peers and the global community.

We aim to encourage each and every child in all aspects of learning by:

  • developing a strong partnership between children, parents, staff, governors and the community as a whole
  • developing social skills (communication, empathy, respect and a sense of responsibility)
  • involving the children in decision making and encouraging and developing the pupil voice
  • developing a sense of self- worth where the child’s ideas and feelings are valued
  • encouraging the children to achieve their full potential through a broad varied and interesting learning environment and curriculum
  • celebrating diversity
  • promoting and encouraging an awareness and understanding of how to lead a healthy life
  • creating a safe environment in which we encourage children to make sensible choices
  • identifying and overcoming any barriers to learning

Quality First Teaching

All children are entitled to quality first teaching, adapted to meet their individual needs.

This is teaching which has:

  •  highly focused lesson design with clear and challenging objectives
  •  high demands of pupil involvement and engagement with their learning
  •  high levels of interaction for all pupils
  •  appropriate use of teacher questioning, modelling and explaining
  •  an emphasis on learning which has regular opportunities for pupils to talk both individually and in groups
  •  an expectation that pupils will accept responsibility for their own learning and work independently
  •  regular use of encouragement and authentic praise to engage and motivate pupils.

The New National Curriculum talks about Inclusion stating that:

4.1 Teachers should set high expectations for every pupil. They should plan stretching work for pupils whose attainment is significantly above the expected standard. They have an even greater obligation to plan lessons for pupils who have low levels of prior attainment or come from disadvantaged backgrounds. Teachers should use appropriate assessment to set targets which are deliberately ambitious.

In our school, if a child makes less than expected progress in their learning, or is not attaining the expected level for children of a similar age, steps will be taken to address this. Action will also be taken if a child expresses a concern themselves or there is a change in their behaviour which is a cause for concern.

What is the Children and Families Act?

This sets out things being put in place by the government to support families and improve services for children, helping them to do well no matter what their background or circumstances. (see link to 'Children and Families Act' at the bottom of the page)

What will be different?

There will be changes made to Fostering, Family Justice and Special Educational Needs services. Gloucestershire County Council will publish a ‘Local Offer’ which sets out the range of provisions and services that are available in the area for children and young people with SEND, along information about what schools, academies and colleges are expected to provide.

How will this change things at Cam Woodfield Infant School?

As a school we are adding information to our website telling you how we support children with Additional and Special Educational Needs and Disabilities. There is a new Code of Practice which schools will have to follow from September 2014 (see link to 'Code of Practice' at the bottom of the page)

What is the Code of Practice?

It describes how help for children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities should be organised in a step by step way. It gives guidance to anybody who helps to identify, assess and provide help for children with special educational needs. It sets out the processes and procedures that different organisations must or should follow to meet the needs of children.

What are Special Educational Needs?

The Code of Practice states that ‘A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her.

A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:

  • has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age, or
  • has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions’.

How do I know if my child has Special Educational Needs?

If you have any worries or concerns about your child’s progress or development you should speak to the Class Teacher, Senco, Parent Support Advisor, Head Teacher, G.P. or Health Visitor. They will be able to talk to you about your concerns and make suggestions about the next steps to take.

Who are the Senco and Parent Support Advisor and what do they do?

In our school Mrs Powell is the SENCO and Mrs Kinnear is the Parent Support Advisor and CAF Coordinator
They work with the staff and parents to support children’s progress and well- being. Mrs Powell will liaise with parents, pre-schools, nurseries and other educational settings to ensure smooth transitions take place as the children move between different phases of education (eg. pre-school to infants). Mrs Kinnear can support parents to access other services.

If I speak to Mrs Powell, what happens next?

Parents and Teachers talk to Mrs Powell about concerns they have about a child’s learning, progress, health/ medical conditions and behaviour. Mrs Powell and the Class Teacher will often meet with parents (and where appropriate the child) and hold a ‘Structured Conversation’. This will be incorporated into an action plan detailing the responsibilities of the school, parents and child in order to meet the identified needs. The Class Teacher and/or Mrs Powell may carry out some assessments, do observations or keep checklists to gain a picture of the difficulties. Parents might be asked to give a picture of the child at home or think about interests the child has which may motivate them. A copy of the action plan will be given to the parents and also kept in school. A review meeting will be arranged or progress may be discussed at a parents evening.

What if the targets haven’t been met?

If the targets or needs haven’t been met then an intervention may be considered.

What is an intervention?

Our school uses interventions to help boost progress or tackle skills and areas of learning that the child is finding difficult. These are short, snappy sessions which are tailored to the child’s learning needs and give them extra practice or extend their learning. They are usually published schemes which have a good track record in helping children to move on in their learning. Children will be assessed at the beginning and end of an intervention or termly for longer running interventions, to check that it is working and making a difference for the child. Parents will be invited to talk about any interventions being offered. The impact of interventions is reviewed regularly by Mrs Powell and Mrs Harper in consultation with the teaching staff (see document on bookcase 'List of Available Interventions').

If my child is on an intervention does that mean they have Special Educational Needs?

No. He/she may start to make progress and there may no longer be any concerns. Interventions can also be used to help children with other needs such as English as an Additional Language (EAL), or those who are identified as Gifted and Talented (G&T), or are eligible for Pupil Premium (PP). (see 'Policies' page on the website)

Who will deliver the intervention?

Any member of the teaching staff may deliver an intervention. If there is a member of staff who has an expertise in the area that the child finds difficult, then where possible, they will deliver it. Here is a list of training courses that the staff has attended (see 'SEND related CPD' - Continuing Professional Development document on the bookcase at the bottom of the page)

What if they don’t make progress even when they are doing interventions?

If there are still concerns about progress or the child’s needs are not being met then this will be considered at review or as soon as it is obvious that progress is not being made. Mrs Powell might give advice about how to change the intervention slightly to improve the child’s progress. For example, the intervention might need to happen more often, or in a smaller group or on a one to one basis. The resources might need to be changed. A ‘My Plan’ will be drawn up which includes needs and targets along with information about how these will be met.

What happens next?

If it is decided at the next review that the child is making progress, the intervention will either end or if resources are available, may carry on to support the child’s on-going progress. If there is still a concern about progress then Mrs Powell may talk to parents and teachers about making a referral to health or education professionals for more advice.

Who will the school make referrals to?

School may make referrals to a range of different services, such as Speech and Language Therapy, School Nurse, Advisory Teaching Service or buy in advice and support from Education Psychology or Behaviour Support Services.

What will these services do?

These services will share their expertise with the staff and parents. They will support the school in meeting the needs of the child or assessing what unknown needs they may have. They may carry out assessments, observe the child in action, speak to the parents and the child. They may help review how interventions are working and suggest new interventions and resources that school may not be familiar with. Referrals will not be made without permission of the parent. A multi-agency meeting might be held so that everyone involved can give feed- back about how the ‘My Plan’ is going. A ‘My Plan +’ will be drawn up if the child needs on -going support from different agencies.

What is a My Plan +?

‘My Plan +’ is where the multi-agency meeting records the needs and progress they would like to see in more detail. It might record wider needs such as medical or social needs and concerns related to home and family which might be making an impact on the child’s learning and well -being. If a child has high level and complex needs which the multi- agency group feel that the school might not be able to meet within their resources, a request may be made to the Local Authority Education Department to carry out a more detailed assessment of the difficulties called an’ Education Health and Care assessment.’

If it is agreed that a more detailed investigation is needed, will my child have an EHC plan?

The assessment will not always lead to an EHC plan. Education Health Care Plans (EHC) will be phased in from September 2014 replacing ‘Statements’. It will take time for existing Statements to be changed over to the new plans and the Local Authority are currently organising this process. The ‘My Plan +’ along with reports from adults involved with the child will form the request for the EHC assessment.

How does the school fund support for additional needs?

A school will meet the needs of the majority of children with SEND from its delegated budget. Where it has been agreed that a pupil requires in excess of £6000 per year of additional support, and an EHCP is in place. Top up funding may be available from the Local Authority to supplement the school’s budget.

I’ve heard about Personal Budgets but what are they?

This is funding which is available to meet educational needs which cannot be met within existing resources. The option is available from September 2014 to all children and young people with an EHC plan.

What if an EHC assessment doesn’t happen?

If it is agreed that the school is able to meet the child’s needs within its resources and allocated budget, then the school will be expected to continue working from the My Plan +, continuing to have regular multi-agency meetings to review how things are going. The multi-agency group may request an assessment at a later date if appropriate.

What if I need help at home with issues?

If you would like more help at home with issues, then you could have your family’s needs addressed through the Common Assessment Framework (see 'CAF leaflet for parents' link). Mrs Kinnear is a Lead Professional who is able to support families through CAF.

My Child needs medicine at school. Who can organise this?

If a child has medical or personal care needs, then the school will record information about how and when to give the child their medicine. They may need a Personal Care or Individual Health Care Plan to explain what needs to be done, when and by whom. Training is undertaken to ensure that staff are competent and confident in their ability to support pupils with medical conditions and to fulfil the requirements as set out in their care plan. (see 'SEND related CPD' - Continuing Professional Development document on the bookcase at the bottom of the page)

I’m worried that my child might be bullied because of their needs. How will school prevent this?

We recognise that bullying can occur. When it does it can be harmful both physically and emotionally for the victim. Cam Woodfield Infant School will not tolerate bullying and are committed to providing a caring, friendly and safe environment for all our pupils. There are clear guidelines and procedures in our anti-bullying policy. (see 'Policies' page on the website for Anti-bullying Policy)

Will my child be included in trips and activities?

At Cam Woodfield Infant School, all pupils, families and staff are of equal value. We recognise that treating people equally does not necessarily involve treating them all the same. We take account of diversity and the kinds of barriers that pupils, families and staff may face. In order to ensure that all pupils are included we liaise with parents/ carers about specific needs and carry out risk assessments and apply for inclusion grants to access clubs etc. It is our aim to include all children in trips and activities while accommodating any needs they may have.

What can I do if I’m not happy about something?

Come in to school and talk about what is going wrong. You are more than welcome to talk to the class teacher, Mrs Powell, Mrs Kinnear, Mrs Harper or Mrs Casse (who is the governor for SEND). The school has a complaints procedure also. (see 'Policies' page on the website for Complaints Policy)

Links to documents and websites

Children and Families Act

Code of Practice

Glos Families Directory

File icon: docx List of Available Interventions 2 [docx 29KB] Click to download
File icon: xlsx SEND related CPD [xlsx 12KB] Click to download
File icon: doc Complaints Policy Sept 2014 - 2017 [doc 33KB] Click to download
File icon: doc Child Protection Policy Feb 2017 - Feb 2018 [doc 441KB] Click to download
File icon: doc Anti Bullying Policy Jan 2017 - Jan 2018 [doc 43KB] Click to download
File icon: doc Behaviour Policy Jan 2017 - Jan 2018 [doc 45KB] Click to download
File icon: doc Equalities Policy and plan Jan 2017 - Jan 2018 [doc 82KB] Click to download
File icon: docx SEN information report 2017-2018 [docx 26KB] Click to download
File icon: pdf graduated_pathway_flowchart [pdf 561KB] Click to download
File icon: docx SEND Policy February 2017 [docx 36KB] Click to download
File icon: doc Feedback for family [doc 134KB] Click to download